NEW YEAR SAME ME
You guys might laugh when you see the title of this post. Let's be honest, it's not like you wake up on Jan 1 and are a totally different person. Much like when I turned 30, I didn't change overnight, it's a gradual thing that evolves over time.
I am not one of those resolution makers. I like goals though because they feel more long term (it's really just semantics) I think that the new year is a good chance to reset and take a look and how things could be optimized in your life. I wanted to share a few things I am working on that might interest you. Please share in the comments what you are working on for 2017!
1. Intuitive Eating - I had the chance to read this great book on intuitive eating. While I would rather have you read the book itself to understand the nuances of the research, it basically advises to eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. You can eat anything you want, because the theory is that you will crave it more (and end up bingeing on it later) if you restrict yourself. It might not be for everyone but I certainly think it is an interesting approach and I am going to try to pay a little bit more attention to my hunger to ensure I eat when I am truly hungry and stop when I am full.
2. Cooking - I always have bucket list-type cooking goals for the year. I try to tackle technically challenging things like bread or poached eggs to grow my cooking skills. I haven't decided on what it will be but I would love to take another cooking class to help with the learning process. Speaking of which, my sister gave me a certificate to learn how to make cheese...maybe that will be my 2017 thing to tackle?
3. Travel - 2016 was a good year for travel. I went to New York over 6 times plus took a whirlwind trip to Europe with my sister. I know that 2017 has quite a bit of work travel in store for me (I already have 5 trips in the books) but I need to plan my fun travel too. I was thinking of maybe tacking on a Hamptons trip to a New York work trip this summer or perhaps visiting North Carolina. Any suggestions?
4. Photography - I am always pushing myself to become a better photographer and the best way to do that is practice and classes. I already signed up for Skillshare and have already been loving their informative classes. They are doing a promo now that it is only .99 for three months (this is non-promoted) so you can see if you like it. I also want to take some of their business development classes. It's a great way to continue learning. I have been swapping in a few episodes of TV for a class 2-3 times a week. I love how fast and easy the classes are.
5. Dress Like a Girl Boss - I know the term girl boss is overused but it felt appropriate here. My manager is out on maternity leave so it's time to step up and take charge. Clothes and makeup, although they can been seen as superficial, really do have an impact on how you carry yourself and how you are perceived. With my new job expectations, I want to look sharp. That starts with a through closet clean out and taking a look at where the gaps in my wardrobe are. I might also have Boon + Gable come back since I had such a great experience with their personal shopping help last year.
So that isn't an all-inclusive list but those are a few of the things that I have set for myself this year. What do you have on your list?